funsec mailing list archives

RE: mac trojan in-the-wild

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 17:06:13 +1300

Larry Seltzer wrote:

It just blows me away that nobody's bothered do mount a concerted attack
yet,

Traditionally we have talked in terms of ROI.

After the "bad old days" of Mac viruses (including the first "data
viruses") the _very_ occasional piece of Mac malware had the, ahem
"advantage" of making quite a media splash even if it never actually
made it "in the wild".  To the malware author, the ROI was not so much
getting a media headline of the "worst/fastest/biggest" kind but more
of boasting rights for a "first" (no matter how puerile).

When these odd (usually really just PoC) malwares appeared, the Mac
fanboyz went into overdrive expending huge effort denying that these
examples showed their historically moronic view of Macs as "virus
proof", etc, etc and more latterly "designed secure", etc, etc were
clearly, at a minimum, gravely flawed...

Historically we have tended to say that Mac OS would have to achieve
(possibly much) greater market share before it would ever start to look
like it was worth the malware writers' efforts.  However, with Windows
int-duh-net users possibly approaching malware infestation saturation,
how bad can the ROI of whipping up a few simple scripts into an OS X
installer, packaging that up as a disk image and tweaking a few malware
web server scripts to serve the Mac version to "suitable" browser user
agent clients really look?

Sure, it may only pull a few hundred more victims, but that's money for
jam in the brave new world of organized crime-ware...

... but once it comes it's going to be smallpox and the native
americans all over again. Mac users have been trained to think they're
invulnerable.

Yep -- the unconscionable leading the (largely) ineducable.

Mac fanboyz have a lot to answer for...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald