funsec mailing list archives

Re: BBC: British nukes were protected by bike locks

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendomatic () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:22:48 -0600

On Nov 23, 2007 3:54 PM, Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
wrote:

BBC's Newsnight reports:

"Newsnight has discovered that until the early days of the Blair
government the RAF's nuclear bombs were armed by turning a bicycle lock
key."

And later:
"The Bomb is actually armed by inserting a bicycle lock key into the
arming switch and turning it through 90 degrees.
There is no code which needs to be entered or dual key system to prevent a
rogue individual from arming the Bomb."

More at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/7097101.stm

Sorry, this is late but reportedly the program was seen on Newsnight on
Thursday, 15 November, 2007 at 10.30pm on BBC TWO.

The brits had nukes?  I,.. I thought they just rented them from unkie
sam...

I bet the protesters at Greenham Commons were surely shocked to learn this..

:)