funsec mailing list archives

Re: BBC: British nukes were protected by bike locks

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 22:33:31 -0800

On Friday 23 November 2007 13:54, Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
BBC's Newsnight reports:

"Newsnight has discovered that until the early days of the Blair government
the RAF's nuclear bombs were armed by turning a bicycle lock key."

And later:
"The Bomb is actually armed by inserting a bicycle lock key into the arming
switch and turning it through 90 degrees. There is no code which needs to
be entered or dual key system to prevent a rogue individual from arming the
Bomb."

More at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/7097101.stm

Wonder if this means they will have to start confiscating BIC pens
at the guard gates to military compounds? :-P

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Tokyo, Japan   November 29/30 - 2007    http://pacsec.jp