funsec mailing list archives

Re: 911 Operator Found Guilty Of Willful Neglect

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:51:04 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008, Larry Seltzer wrote:

As non-US citizen I'm interested in to hear some comments about the
local 911 culture.

Of course she should have dispatched someone, even if she warned them
she was suspicious of the call. OTOH, this is Detroit, and I wouldn't be
surprised if they have a lot of prank calls.

Estimates range between 40% and 60% of 9-1-1 calls should not have been
made as opposed the caller being mistaken about the incident. Sometimes
(or often depending on the city finances) there are not enough police
resources to respond to every call all the time, so calls are evaluated
and ranked by the dispatchers, officers, and so on.

Most of the time the system works.  But sometimes humans don't.  You
will find the occasional story about a 9-1-1 dispatcher incorrectly
dismissing a call as a "prank," a responding policer officer finding an
apparently "empty" house and missing a dying person on the premises, a
9-1-1 call of an apparently abandoned baby stroller with a baby outside
a store left by a European tourist.

I suspect occasional mistakes happen in most countries with their
similar emergency services.

Do the emergency services in your country never make a mistake?