funsec mailing list archives

Re: CompUSA Refuses To Accept Cash

From: Kevin Johnson <kjohnson () secureideas net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:55:00 -0500

On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:53 PM, Larry Seltzer wrote:
Aren't they going out of business anway?

I believe so, and while I don't excuse not taking cash (I really
suspect
it's illegal) I can imagine why they would want it this way. When you
take cash you have to worry about securing it and dealing with the
bank,
and it's just a lot easier to funnel everything through credit cards,
although it does cost money.

Personally, I'm happy to see them go. I got ripped off by CompUSA many
years ago and swore I'd never do business with them again. This story
should give you a sense of how they operate: I bought a KVM switch (a
Belkin) and it was DOA when I got it home. I brought it back and the
store manager told me to my face that he couldn't take the return
because it would cost his store too much money. I gave him my PC
Magazine business card and left. Another CompUSA took the return (the
people there were appalled). I wrote a letter to corporate on it and
never heard back.

While I will agree with any hatred of CompUSA, it is not illegal for
them to not take cash.  While money is legal tender, there are no
federal statutes that say a private entity must accept it.

The information is from http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

Kevin