funsec mailing list archives

Re: CompUSA Refuses To Accept Cash

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:53:45 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:53:27 -0500
From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
To: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>, "Juha-Matti Laurio"
<juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>, <funsec () linuxbox org>
Subject: Re: [funsec] CompUSA Refuses To Accept Cash

Aren't they going out of business anway?

I believe so, and while I don't excuse not taking cash (I really suspect
it's illegal) I can imagine why they would want it this way. When you

Why would accepting cash be illegal?

take cash you have to worry about securing it and dealing with the bank,
and it's just a lot easier to funnel everything through credit cards,
although it does cost money.

Personally, I'm happy to see them go. I got ripped off by CompUSA many
years ago and swore I'd never do business with them again. This story
should give you a sense of how they operate: I bought a KVM switch (a
Belkin) and it was DOA when I got it home. I brought it back and the
store manager told me to my face that he couldn't take the return
because it would cost his store too much money. I gave him my PC
Magazine business card and left. Another CompUSA took the return (the
people there were appalled). I wrote a letter to corporate on it and
never heard back.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
2655 Seely Ave M/S 9A1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."