funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops: Charter Empties 14,000 E-Mail Accounts

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 23:14:06 -0500 (EST)

Yeesh, that's *such* glaring incompetence.  Uh, guys, ever hear of
*backups*?!
Yeah.  And you know what?  Sometimes, the backups only run daily, so
if you have a major whoops and lose the terabyte of mail spool, any
mail that arrived since 3:07AM last night has effectively evaporated.

Yes, I've seen that happen, from each side of the user/admin fence.

But that's not what was reported; it didn't say anything like "...said
that anything received since the night before is unrecoverable".

That's overlooking the fact that even if you *have* a backup,
restoring it may be interesting - [...]

Also true.  And, y'know what?  I don't care.  As custodians of their
user's data, it's their *job* to deal with those issues.  (Or not,
depending on the SLA-or-moral-equivalent, but that too isn't what the
report I saw made it sound like.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca