funsec mailing list archives

Re: ICANN: TLDs Could End With EXE. Confused? Users May BeToo...

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:14:02 -0800 (PST)

--- "Hubbard, Dan" <dhubbard () websense com> wrote:
Is today April 1 ?

All I can say is WOW.

From: Paul Ferguson, Thu 2/14/2008 3:10 PM

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080214-icann-tlds-could-end-with-exe-confused-users-may-be-too.html

Note: This needs to be watched very closely, as it could
unintentionally introduce some major security issues...

Holy mother of Mike...

I've been obsessing with Usability Among Security Products
of late.  To the point - the abstruse nature of security as
perceived by most people (even those of us here at times)
is itself a significant cause of applied security
weaknesses.

In the simplest and broadest case, telling my Mom - and the
couple billion people she represents - that .exe is not
something to be triffled with is hard enough in itself.
Even the relatively few million people who actually buy and
deploy security products are - on average - non-optimally
educated as to even these basic facts.

Someone at ICANN has been sniffing the wrong bottle of
liquids.  This is sure to make all of our lives just oh so
much simpler...

-chris "Asprin!  Please!" blask