funsec mailing list archives

Re: WikiLeaks and metadata (or who is Mike Kogut?)

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:27:35 -0700

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Dr. Neal Krawetz <hf () hackerfactor com> wrote:
 This does not mean that Mike Kogut authored the document.  For example,
 someone else could have authored it and then Mike converted it to PDF.

true.  minor technical editing may have been the only role involved...

 Since we don't know his role in all of this, providing his home address
 -- even in part -- seems irresponsible.
 (And since I'm including the offending text, I guess I am irresponsible too.)

note i said "previous" address.

in any case, i intended only to highlight the short path between an
identifying snippet, and the sea of information linked to that
identity in few short steps via a multitude of databases across the
globe.

(privacy, like security, requires a physical component to be
effective.  it takes three clicks to get my home address and feed into
google earth, but treading on my property will get you noticed and
deterred from a distance.  i long ago stopped thinking names,
addresses, phone numbers, employment were private information.  it's
simply impossible to make it so in any meaningful sense.)

 I also like the ones where they draw the rectangles in pen and scan it in
 a high quality scanner, only to have slightly different black-levels that
 allow reading the redacted areas.  And I like it when they "merge" or
 blend the black rather than doing a flat overwrite.

ah, the joy of side channels.  so many creative ways to discern
presumably opaque elements with surprising clarity...