funsec mailing list archives

Re: BSDNews.com is hacked and user information is exposed

From: "Jim O'Gorman" <jameso () elwood net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:55:19 -0500

Yeah, the site that originally had the usernames/passwords posted seems to
be down (for me at least) right now. Other site is has closed public access
to the forums, but the google cache is still up. More at
http://www.elwood.net/post/32863299.

Myself, I am just sorry I waited a week to make it public. I thought the
BSDnews people would be more on the ball then they turned out to be. Notice
finally came out today after Evan posted the news and other sites picked up
on it.

I still don't understand why they were keeping plaintext passwords for all
their users.

--
Jim O'Gorman
jameso () elwood net