funsec mailing list archives

Re: Are you sheepish, or in the mood?

From: "Les Bell" <lesbell () lesbell com au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:10:18 +1000

"Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:

Earliest recording of computer music.
<<

I'd bet there's more than a few on this list who remember Steve Dompier's
"Music of a Sort", which appeared in an early edition of "Dr Dobb's Journal
of Tiny Basic Computer Calisthenics and Orthodontia - or, Running Light
Without Overbyte" (1976). Octal machine code and two sets of data for the
8080, which, when set running played "The Fool On The Hill", by The Beatles
and "Daisy, Daisy" (probably motivated by "2001"). It was the first program
I got running on my S-100 system, since it required only an AM radio as an
output device.

BTW, if we're going off on a historical tangent, did anyone notice this
description of an early (pre-computer) attempt at a World-Wide Web?
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/17/healthscience/17mund.php?page=1

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]