funsec mailing list archives

Re: SF Worker Accused Of Tampering With City's Computer Network

From: Rob Thompson <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:09:44 -0700

Paul Ferguson wrote:
Via NBC11.com.

[snip]

The funny part about all of this, at least according to what I read on
The Register this morning...they're still locked out of the network.

It's been approx a week.  lol

While I normally wouldn't find this so funny, I just can't stop thinking:

I wonder if they ever heard of the phrase "Disaster Recovery"???

Priceless...  A whole week and they can't get back in...

San Francisco prosecutors charged a city worker Monday with illegally
tampering with the city's computer network, potentially exposing the
information of both city workers and anyone who does business with the
city.

Police arrested Terry Childs, 43, a network administrator for San
Francisco's Department of Telecommunications and Information Services, over
the weekend, according to the San Francisco District Attorney's Office.

According to District Attorney Kamala Harris, Childs is believed to have
disrupted the city's FiberWAN network system between June 20 and July 10.
He was arrested on Sunday at his home in Pittsburg and is being held on $5
million bail, she said.

At a news conference in San Francisco Monday afternoon, Harris was vague
about the facts or motive behind the sensitive case, citing an ongoing
investigation.

Harris said the charges relate to "rules about accessing our computer
systems and about who has authorized or unauthorized access to those
systems."

According to Harris, Childs is believed to have temporarily denied services
to authorized users on the network, and to have set up devices that would
allow a user to gain unauthorized access to the network.

[snip]

More:
http://www.nbc11.com/news/16884468/detail.html

- ferg