funsec mailing list archives

Re: Texas Bank Dumps Antivirus for Whitelisting

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:47:06 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:57:07 -0400
From:                   Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>

SQL isn't actually executable code, it's
just data that program code uses in order to decide what to execute.

Pretty good definition of a compiler, isn't it?

program in a Harvard architecture is capable of going "if x==1 then
do_this() else if x==2 then do_that(); etc(),etc(),etc()" - can't it?

Yup, but you'd have to do it in the program store.

Things like buffer overflows would be impossible with a Harvard
architecture, but I don't see why SQL injection or Trojan horse programs
or many other malicious items would be any less likely.

SQL injection would be prevented because you couldn't have any data submitted to
the program store.  Trojans are still possible, but you have to convince the owner
to manually enter your program into the program store, you can't just send it via
email or driveby download.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The World Youth Congress was the greatest thing that ever
happened [to Ghana], so I was surprised to learn [later] that it
was a CIA front.  I may be the only person you will ever meet who
is indebted to the CIA.                              - Stephen Lewis
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm