funsec mailing list archives

Re: A Sad Day For America: Senate Approves Telco Immunity

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 20:46:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jacob, folks,

Preface: I have been working from right-of-center in support of Obama since the beginning of the year, which places me
on a fence on this topic.  The whole FISA thing is abhorent at its core, but simultaneously I am biased by believing
that - a/ Obama is the right person for the job at this time and we need to get him in office, and - b/ that swapping
the GOP out of the administration is the only way to make progress reversing all the momentum behind things like FISA.

Of course the PUMA folks (all 25 of them, and their sockpuppets) are using this opportunity to gnash their teeth about
how Obama is now unelectable and McCain will sweep to the White House, which imo is a load of hogwash.  I think it is
more likely that some folks who obsess with Liberal politics and the smaller group of us who obsess with infosec will
drop a few voters from the roles while the general impression of being "tough on national security" will tip more
fence-sitting centrists and Republicans into his camp.  Whether Obama's stance is political expediency or a more
honorable and crafty plan I have no real idea, but I'm fairly certain that if McCain gets in office with Cheney in his
cabinet FISA will seem like sweet custard pie in four years.

For those reasons I am aware that I am biased towards desiring that his current moves make sense in the longer-term
scheme of things. Obviously, given that, I would hope that thoughts from those in our little community here could help
appropriately mitigate the outrage of the Left ("appropriately", because strategically it may well be that appropriate
outrage will help serve to ensure the post-November momentum to undo the invasiveness of the current administration
while not damaging the Dem presidential run) - but if my desires are shot down here then that is also an acceptable
result.