funsec mailing list archives

House Armed Services Committee discussion on EMP

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:17:16 -0500 (CDT)

[carbon copied from another list]

From: Joe St Sauver

Speaking of cyber war, I don't recall hearing much if any discussion
of the 2008 report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the
United States From Electromagnetic Pulese (EMP) Attack. That report
is dated April 2008, but the US House Armed Services Committee held
hearings on that report July 10th, 2008.

The 2008 report (208 pages/7MB+) is available from
http://www.empcommission.org/reports.php and a video copy of the House
Hearings in Windows Media format is available from
http://armedservices.house.gov/hearing_information.shtml

Chapter 1 of the Commission's report focusses on SCADA systems,
chapter 2 goes on to address power systems, etc.

I'd urge you to review this report, and to listen to the House
hearings on this topic if you're interested in what future
strategic cyber attacks might actually look like.

Regards,

Joe St Sauver, Ph.D. (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/

Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own