funsec mailing list archives

Re: keyboard ownage

From: Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby () capnet state tx us>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:23:46 -0500

As far as I know, historically TEMPEST (or the preceding research) was originally
concerned with keyboards, rather than screens

Bzzzt.

In 1982 while working for Datapoint corp, we built TEMPEST rated
computers. The keyboard, CPU and monitor were all shielded.

A full bird colonel told me that he had seen a demonstration of a system
that pointed an antenna at a computer across the lab. Everything on the
remote screen was (mostly) reproduced by decoding the RF emanations from
the distant monitor itself.

Think about it. The horizontal and vertical sweep frequencies will be
prominent in a spectrum analyzer. All you need then is the pulses from
the electron gun.

Bryan Bradsby

Postmaster
512.936.2248