funsec mailing list archives

Re: keyboard ownage

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:34:57 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:23:46 -0500
From:                   Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby () capnet state tx us>

Bzzzt.

In 1982 while working for Datapoint corp, we built TEMPEST rated
computers. The keyboard, CPU and monitor were all shielded.

That counts as "late."  The British were using keyboard emanations to read French
cipher traffic plaintext in the early 60s, and I know there was concern about
keyboard input even earlier (mostly in connection with cipher machines, but
spilling over into computer use).

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
         Review index: http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/review.htm
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/