funsec mailing list archives

Welsh road sign 'lost' in translation

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:04:03 +0200 (EET)

"LONDON (AFP) – Officials in Wales mistakenly erected a road sign that read "I am not in the office at the moment" in
Welsh after a translation mix-up.

The sign originally said in English, "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only," but when Swansea
Council officials sent it to be translated,
they received an automated e-mail written in Welsh that read:
"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated."

Unaware of the actual meaning of the e-mail, officials had the sign printed and put up near a supermarket,
only realising their mistake when Welsh speakers pointed it out.

All road signs in Wales are required to be written in English and Welsh."
--clip--

More at
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081101/od_afp/britainwalestransportoffbeat

An example of the traffic sign in Anglesey [JPG]:
http://afp.google.com/media/ALeqM5i5GkA-Q9nS8qm-SQRgfHSNAza-HQ?size=m

;-)

Juha-Matti