funsec mailing list archives

Re: Welsh road sign 'lost' in translation

From: John Payne <john () sackheads org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:22:07 -0500

On Nov 3, 2008, at 1:41 PM, David Lodge wrote:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:04:03 -0000, Juha-Matti Laurio
<juha-matti.laurio () netti fi> wrote:
they received an automated e-mail written in Welsh that read:
"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be
translated."

It does make one wonder why in nieflheim a person who's job was to
translate English in to what is effectively a dead language (i.e.
Welsh)
was doing only putting his out of the office notification in Welsh...

Careful boyo...

http://www.eurolang.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2955&Itemid=1&lang=en

Wikipedia puts the number of speakers of Welsh north of 750,000.
Admittedly they're all at least bilingual...

Then again with a lot of the facsist Welsh I've met it wouldn't
surprise
me :-)

Heh... it's also those damn Argentineans too...