funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Who Protects The Internet?" (TechCrunch, via slashdot)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 20:37:11 +0000 (UTC)

: I'm sure most people think that someone out there "runs the Internet." I
: once wrote an April Fools press release about this.

I think there is a difference between "runs" the Internet and "protects"
the Internet, as quoted originally.

For parts of the Internet, I see it more analagous to highway troopers in
the US. They are out there, but the number of warm bodies versus miles of
road make it so a lot of law breaking goes on that they don't see, and
they rely heavily on citizens to report crime for them to respond to.