funsec mailing list archives

FYI - !b404

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 17:37:33 -0800

An interesting study.  As one who has published an infosec dictionary, I've seen,
first hand, how fast our technical jargon has changed (and often degraded).  The
effect of the technology, and the pervasive nature of the changes, is intriguing.

Highlights:
 - new communications technology, particularly text messaging abbreviations
(textese), creating new terms entering the language
 - errors by the technology ("predictive" numeric keypad text interpretation of
"book" instead of "cool") creating new slang (book now means cool or good) *
 - terms from local technologies (the Oyster card error codes) are entering the
language more broadly
 - testese messages take longer to read, and generate more errors

ftp://ftp.royalmail.com/Downloads/public/ctf/po/TechChat-Draft2.pdf

(Unfortunately, a link to the Australian study seems to be missing.)

Relevance to security?  Well, I don't agree with the final statement in the BBC
story.  Any change to the language that increases the error level in
communications has got to be dangerous.

* I've heard my grandkids say this, and wondered where it came from.  The
technical reasons for this are fascinating in themselves.  Predictive typing
technology is based on the numeric keypad equivalent of words, and is based on
the frequency of word usage in English.  "Book" and "cool" are equivalent (2665)
on a numeric keypad.  In general English, book is going to be the more widely used
word, and so the algorithm chooses book first when you type 2665.  However,
textese is used by teens much more widely than by the rest of the population, and
I am morally certain that teen textese uses cool much more frequently than it uses
book.

I am also interested in competition in terms of the acronyms.  LAMP has been
widely used in technical (and particularly online) circles to refer to the use of
Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Python/Perl for the creation of Websites.  It is
interesting to note a completely different use of LAMP in the financial arena.
(We already have a similar confusion of SOA depending upon whether the speaker
is from the BS 7799/ISO 27K community [statement of applicability, aka scope]
or the ITIL tribe [service oriented architecture].)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Solve 90% of the problem as simply as you can, and then remove
the other 10% from the problem requirements.         - Marshall Rose
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/