funsec mailing list archives

Camera upgraded to terrorist weapon in NYC.

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 02:37:10 -0800

url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sethschoen/3221195377/
Crashed track status indicator at Penn Station 2:21am
Source: www.flickr.com

"I was detained by the police for taking this picture of a crashed display at Penn Station in New York. The person reflected in the monitor is an undercover police detective who is approaching to tell me to stop photographing it. ..."

>ioerror.

Possession of a camera has been upgraded to a terrorist offence. At least _my_ camera is shaped like a gun. :-P

This is almost as stupid as the MIT student with the circuit board hoodie imbroglio. Or the NY plan to shut down cellphones in times of emergency... :-P

I've been told that terrorists often use google too. (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article5311241.ece ) Maybe we should require registration and id photo storage at public internet access upon use of such dangerous information tools? So check your office mates - any of them doing a suspicious amount of search engine and map usage? Maybe you had better report them... :-P

Seth Schoen is with the EFF. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Schoen

Fear is the enemy. And the terrorists are winning because there is much fear and terror.

Every time some petty official or safety worker lets the Fear rule their thinking they are giving in to the terrorists and creating more terror.

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Vancouver, Canada  March 16-20 2009  http://cansecwest.com