funsec mailing list archives

Re: Camera upgraded to terrorist weapon in NYC.

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 07:39:57 -0500

That's how things worked when we had communist regime here. They
destroyed negatives also.

I'm as offended, or maybe almost as offended by this as anyone here, and
NYC is full of such garbage. A couple years ago I was at a party in a
park on Randall's Island below the Triborough Bridge and saw signs on
the bridge warning of criminal penalties for taking photographs.
Honestly, what's the point of this? And is anyone in Penn Station
intimidated by the three 50 year old overweight army reservists there?
It's not like they stop and search you if you're wheeling a suitcase
that could contain small nuclear weapon. They're more likely to help you
carry it up the stairs.

But comparing it to living behind the iron curtain is a little out of
perspective. They let him go after 5 minutes and let him keep his camera
and pix.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <http://security.eweek.com/>
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/>
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com
<mailto:larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com>