funsec mailing list archives

Re: New bill aims to force cell camera sounds, protect children

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:03:47 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 04:17:06PM +0200, Juha-Matti Laurio quoted:
"The Camera Phone Predator Alert Act (H.R. 414) is the real deal.

This bill has nothing to do with its putative topic.

This bill has everything to do with preventing citizens from using
their cell phone cameras to record what police and other government
officials do.  A tell-tale sign of this is that it does not specify
that cameras operated by government entities are required to conform.

Thus, the subtext: "We want to know if you're taking pictures of us.
We do not want you to know when you're taking pictures of you."

---Rsk