funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 00:32:38 -0000

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:25:16 -0000, Paul M. Moriarty <pmm () igtc com> wrote:
It seems like a pretty fine point to say it's ok to create a botnet as
long as one doesn't have criminal intent, don't you think?

It's convoluted, the Computer Misuse Act (CMA) has a lot of ambiguous
clauses which state "with intent", but, on the counter side if you do
anything unauthorised on a computer system you are in breach (irrelevant
of intent). So, my call, as a non-lawyer would be that they've broken the
law and I'd like to see them investigated. Certainly if I did similar
without authorisation I'd expect to be arrested for it.

I'm also curious about whether the ISPs they used to traverse the Internet
for their DDoS will take them on in the civil arena...

IMNSHO IANAL ad nauseam

dave