funsec mailing list archives

Re: So, did the BBC cross the line?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 06:00:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009, David Harley wrote:
It's convoluted, the Computer Misuse Act (CMA) has a lot of
ambiguous clauses which state "with intent", but, on the
counter side if you do anything unauthorised on a computer
system you are in breach (irrelevant of intent). So, my call,
as a non-lawyer would be that they've broken the law and I'd
like to see them investigated. Certainly if I did similar
without authorisation I'd expect to be arrested for it.

Actually, the sticking point appears to be the unauthorised modification:
unauthorised access seems clear, even if no-one ever goes to court over it.
I'd say there is a possible on section 3 case, and that the guy from Pinsent
Mason didn't understand the full technological implications. But IANAL blah
blah blah either.

Some crimes are crimes if there is intent. Example: holding lock-picks.
Some crimes are crimes with our without intent. Example: Breaking and
entering.

        Gadi.