funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 04:20:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, security curmudgeon wrote:

In responding to Ferg's post with two words, well below the 140 character
limit, you make his point better than he did.

Indeed?

I find it increasingly ridiculous that whenever a new medium shows up,
whether temporal or permanent, the old guard rejects it. Then it either
moves on like it never existed, gets replaced (succeeded) or "it has
always been there".

I was one of the people who strongly rejected twitter, for many reasons.
Mostly because I have enough online entertainment to waste my time on.
Then, but luck--if you like, a nice guy decided to impersonate me on
twitter and do a Blackhat presentation on it.

I went, and created my own account.

At first, it was weird. While I appreciated a place where I could share
quick thougts, much like a shoutbox on blogs, it was cold and lonely.

People you would "follow", would not follow you back, even if you knew
them. "What's that all about?" I'd ask. And yet, it was also fun:

1. It was not disturbing to my daily routine like IM was. It didn't just
"pop up" when it felt like it.
2. It was not complicated or long. Simple messages with simple concepts.

What it was however, was whatever I made of it.

1. People who updated whenever they were off to the bathroom, or eating,
we boring. I didn't follow them. If a person twitted too much, she was
out of my stream.

2. People who spoke with each other were fun. They'd make quick
informative statements, or jokes. And their friends, and their friends,
would respond. Email-like, if you like. Only readable like a web forum
more than like a mailing list.

Those who tweeted like me, I liked more. Those that tweeted in some other
way, I found less appealing.

To me?

What did I like?

I liked the first thing I noticed. The shoutbox. I could share quick
thoughts, how much I liked a movie, a cool URL I've just visited or even
where the PARTIES were at a certain con I was attending.

Twitter was whatever I made it.

As time passed I saw how the social swamps formed. It was laughable. It
was human.

I still use twitter, whether to update on cool links, to catch up when I
feel like it, or...

To follow live quick-news updates from whatever country just blew up, but
its own people.

Is it good? Is it evil? I don't know and I don't care.

If blogging is good for you, keep blogging. Just don't be an old fart and
tell me IM is for young people because email is good `nuff. It makes you
not just an old fart, but a silly cranky dork.
:)

Anyway, I thought we were just joking around, Fergie and I.

If you believe I made Fergie's point for him, even though we were just
trading jokes, show me your argument, and why it is so. I'll keep an open
mind.

        Gadi.