funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:08:08 -0500 (CDT)

Fergie's points are:

        1. It doesn't sound like something I need on top of my blog.

        2. It seems to me like I wouldn't like it if I used it.

        3. That's my (Fergie's) opinion, and as I (Fergie) am not open to
        talk about it, just venting and wasting your time if discussion
        happens.

You don't have a point as far as I was able to read, but I can blame
English being my second language.

What I think your point were:

        1. Twitter is not a new concept.

        2. It limits you to write in 140 characters or less, which is not
        advisable.

        3. Twitter is a multi-user reality show (Truman show to be
        precise).

I find that some concepts are perfected or become useful much after
someone invents them. Twitter made this one happen.

I answer to #2 in my points below, show it is a positive thing.

As to reality shows, if someone chooses to update me on their bathroom
breaks, I personally dislike such usage of twitter and will not follow
them.

Further, I misrepresented the following:

        1. Twitter is not IM, but an alternative which is less intrusive
        to me. I did not define that right.

        2. Twitter is a social community, and therefore, has its own
        rules and quirks.

What I would like you to understand is that while I don't need you to
convert to the tweeting religion, I find it useful because:

        1. I have multi-user conversations in an on-demand way (unlike
        IRC) and P2P without pop-up intrusion (unlike IM).

        In essence, it does on-demand IM to multiple users, without the
        need to be there every second.

        2. I find that sharing news stories and items of interest is
        easier.

        3. When in conventions and conferences, sharing information
        becomes easier.

        4. I can easily see what the trends of conversation are on
        twitter, and figure out what the big items in different circles
        are, which may be of interest.

        5. If I have an idea, I share it quickly.

        6. Following world events as they happen with reports from the
        "ground" has proven extremely interesting, and inviting of open
        user participation in debate.

        7. I learn to be concise.

        8. As an anecdote, conferences now use twitter themselves to
        update on quick changes in schedule, etc.

Beyond useful, twitter is fun:
It simply is to me.

There are some points which I don't appreciate in twitter, but are not a
deal breaker to me:

        1. It encourages, although does not dictate, a culture of
        re-tweeting rather than of writing new material (quoting others).

        2. It is not possible to follow more than 40-60 people and
        actually keep track of what they say. It's a tradeoff between how
        much time you spend on twitter every day, and how much you want
        to read. I changed my habits to reading what's in-front of me,
        and looking for what interests me.

        3. "The Swamp" of social acceptance is especially alluring on
        twitter, but that is to be expected as anywhere else. It's up to
        you who you "hang with".

        4. Manipulation of the sort of "reciprocal follows" happens all
        the time, but then twitter is used as a branding and marketing
        tool, not a fun past-time. People are not suckers for it though as
        much as at the beginning.

Funny:

        1. People can have 40K followers, but a balance of 40K people
        they follow. They are not really famous, but they promote the
        idea that it is "the right way" of tweeting.

        2. People who only follow who they want to follow (say 200 people)
        and have 40K followers are frowned upon due to the spammish
        behavior described above, even though these "rock stars" are
        actually interesting.

My "stream", as you asked me about it:

        1. I follow what's on the main page. Reading 10 pages back three
        times a day just doesn't work for me.

        2. I usually follow about 80 people. I am currently looking for
        new cool people to follow, so I am at 200. 700 people follow me,
        I usually try and limit it to 450, but I don't have as much
        control over that. I played a bit with reciprocal follows early
        on to see how spammers and big shots do it, and was disgusted.

Finally--
As a side-note, twitter started small. It reminds me of CNN when it
started, with all the glitches that made us all feel like we were a part
of the experience.

Today, they are big and rich, and still have technical glitches. I am
starting to think they do them on purpose, as they have no reasonable
explanation for them. Annoying, but happens less and less.

Positively, though, they have a very quick abuse desk, which is highly
responsive.

To sum up:
You don't need to like twitter. You absolutely do not have to try it. And
you do have the right to promoting a negative opinion of it without trying
it. But you do need to stick to my arguments or introduce new ones when
you discuss it with me. :)

        Gadi.