funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:06:11 -0400

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:03:38 PDT, Anton Chuvakin said:
You're obviously too young to remember pet rocks.
Ah, those were the days :-)
Please don't remind me. Mine died.

I wonder how many of the discussion participants realize that such
discussions is what Twitter is all about... It just begs to be moved
to its proper place - which is Twitter.

Such discussions have happened on netnews, e-mail, irc, and probably
even over FTP, telegraph, and smoke signal. Can't you see it?

PET ROCK DIED. STOP. FUNERAL SUNDAY. STOP.

So given that such discussions seem to happen spontaneously over all
sorts of media, what makes Twitter their "proper place" rather than
"just another place" for them to happen?

(I'll overlook the very high likelyhood that "the proper place" hasn't
even been conceived of yet, and Twitter can, at best, claim "the best
one we have so far")