funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: David M Chess <chess () us ibm com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:13:43 -0400

der Mouse:

There are all *sorts* of things to complain about in Twitter, Plurk,
Second Life, and all the Web X.Y Kool-Aid, but the things that people
who haven't used them to speak of think are the problems aren't
actually the problems at all...

...for you.

For me, for example, they all have one major problem: they require use
of a Web interface, or a closed-source "application download" (which
wouldn't run for me even if I were willing to try it).

And as well as the text-mode Twitter clients, since I mentioned Second
Life I should also mention that the official Second Life viewer (the
"application download") is open-source (basically GPL, although the
default download has an exception for some non-GPL libraries that it uses;
but there's a pure-GPL version that you can use if you want to substitute
your own libraries for those).  And there are a bunch of other open-source
viewers (Imprudence, Hippo, RealXtend, etc) that you can use if you want.

Just sayin'...  :)

DC