funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:50:16 -0400 (EDT)

It strikes me that if we left the Internet in the hands of the "old
timers", we'd be stuck in a world of 7-bit ascii remarking about the
latest breakthroughs with gopher.  Because, in my experience, plain
text ascii is world that most old timers either live in or pine for.

Only by contrast, I think.

Usenet failed to scale.  The mid-90's was when Internet adoption
truly took off and that's when Usenet broke.  Anarchy reigned and new
newsgroups proliferated without rhyme or reason.

It wasn't a failure of scaling; it was a failure to continue to
function in the face of the September that never ended.  While it's
something we can never truly know, I believe Usenet would have scaled
just fine if the net had merely gotten bigger, instead of fundamentally
changing its demographics.  That change co-happened with the scaling,
but I think it wasn't the scaling that killed Usenet.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org