funsec mailing list archives

Re: Tweet This: I Don't Care

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:58:11 -0400

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:10:18AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
Like, oh, just to pick an example, Usenet back in the dialup days.

Now that's a fond memory.  I still vividly recall scrambling to
figure out how I was going to convince Large Midwestern University
to pay the phone bills that ballooned quickly with usage.  I don't
think I actually broke any regulations, but I'm certain I bent a few.

But it was worth it.  The peer-to-peer interactions with people engaged
in similar computing efforts elsewhere provided a wealth of information,
so if assessed purely on a bang/buck basis, it was a huge win.  Hopefully
we were able to pay back at least part of that by dispensing as much help
as we could; a simple "thank you" just doesn't seem like quite enough to
send someone who's just rescued you from the frying pan.

---Rsk