funsec mailing list archives

Hard Lesson Learned

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:53:00 -0400

Okay, I did something rash and stupid. I admit it.

This fall, T-Mobile took over our regional cell phone provider, SunCom.
SunCom had been great, and we had been a customer since the 90s.
However, the T-Mobile takeover has been a disaster, IMHO.

T-Mobile could not get text messaging to work on my phone -- period. So,
I have been over 5 months without text messaging. Worse, I have been
doing a lot of work in CT, and I could not retrieve my voice mail any
time I was in AC 203 -- it simply ignored all DTMF tones past the first
3 or 4 keys sent. Still worse, when in AC 203, their IVR system died
whenever I would enter our account number. So, I had no voice mail and
no access to T-Mobile tech support.

So, today, while I am in SC, I decided to have it out with them. After a
telephone conversation that lasted well over an hour, I got absolutely
so fed up with their excuses and their refusal to credit out account for
service not received, that I told them to just cancel our f*ing account.

Bad move. REALLY bad move.

Next, I went to AT&T to move our accounts. When they went to move our
existing phone numbers to the new AT&T account, T-Mobile refused to do
so. Why? Because when I closed the account, they released the numbers,
thus the numbers no longer belonged to our phones and could not be
moved. Oops. (BIG Oops!)

So, two morals to the story:
   1) Don't cancel your account with your current cell phone provider
until you have moved your cell numbers to your new provider.
   2) T-Mobile sucks, and its customer service worse than sucks.

Now, I guess I will have to spend the rest of my weekend figuring out
everywhere that my 10+ year old cell phone number was embedded and
change it. :-(

Plus, everyone else with company cell phones is now kicking my a** for
being so rash. Oh well, live and learn. I just hope my lesson from the
School of Hard Knocks benefits someone else.

Jon K
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924 (NEW!)
s: 843-564-4224
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253