funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft announce most secure OS on the planet

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:40:09 -0400

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 16:00:08 EDT, Rich Kulawiec said:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:32:37AM +0000, security curmudgeon wrote:
"Popular" products have more published vulnerabilities, that would be
pretty easy to argue. May have to qualify "popular" to who though (the
researchers/blackhats, or the general public which makes them appealing
targets to the bad guys, etc).

Along those lines: one of the canards that I frequently find myself
defusing is "X is attacked often because it's popular".  It may be
true that X is attacked often, and that X is popular, but that doesn't
prove a causal relationship between the two.  I think it much more
likely that X is attacked (a) because it's weak or (b) because it's
perceived to be weak.

Actually, the attacks will be targeted at the product that has the highest
product of (weakness)*(profit per break).  RSTS/E won't be attacked much,
even though it's pretty weak, because there's no money to be made at it.
Financial services will be targets, even though they're *hopefully* tough
targets, because the profit side is big.

And then in the middle, somebody is getting rich hitting consumer
systems in the millions at $5-$10 average a pop...