funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft announce most secure OS on the planet

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:37:41 +0100

The same goes with the Mac and OS X. As the Mac becomes more
popular it becomes a rich target for the mass exploitation of
worms, etc. and criminals start targeting it. I have often
claimed that the Mac's day is coming, and it's almost fully here.

Macs are an interesting example. They were actually targeted more (at any
rate, virally) -before- OS X, though the number of viruses was a tiny
fraction of the number of PC viruses. Yet many of them appeared at a time
when Macs were a very niche product and priced accordingly (pre-iMac), and
home Macs were probably much rarer than now (OK, I'm guessing). I don't
think that's an anomaly, though: at that point, malware was almost
exclusively hobbyist virus-writing, so ROI wasn't much of an issue. Of
course, there are other factors: OS X may not be invulnerable, but it does
at least have a security model...

--
David Harley BA CISSP FBCS CITP
Small Blue-Green World