funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft announce most secure OS on the planet

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 17:59:13 -0700

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:33:07 +0300
From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>

Larry Seltzer wrote:
Facinating. Think of how secure DOS and CP/M are by this standard.

They would be secure, very secure.

They may not necessarily be stable or stand up to a targeted attack
which knows what they are running, but generally, they'd be the most
secure machines on the Internet.

If they could even GET on the Internet.  (Did/Do they have a TCP
Stack?  I don't think they did...  But I could be wrong...)

KA9Q was used to do TCP over packet radio for CP/M machines AFAIR.
I had left behind the z80 for 80286 machines and uucp by then so I
never used it.

And frankly I don't think their obscurity would provide much security
- even older lame exploits would work against that immature code, and
no MMU... well...

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
London, U.K. May 27/28 2009 http://eusecwest.com