funsec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Queen Bohemian Rhapsody old school computer Remix

From: rackow () mcs anl gov
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:12:04 -0500

Jon Kibler made the following keystrokes:
Juha-Matti Laurio wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht96HJ01SE4

Just cool.
Reminds me of the "music" that we used to have a 1401 play on its 1403
printer. I seem to recall that there was about a dozen "songs",
including Jingle Bells, Stars and Stripes Forever, Anchors Away, ... and
that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

If you had several of those big printers the music got even better.
You'd think you could hear the voices in several songs.  I wish I
had tape recorded some of those.  The IBM guys would run these as
test jobs on occasion when doing printer maint.

There was also the fun of setting a radio in specific places on the
main control panel and listen to the music it played.  Somewhat
better than the printer banging away as you'd get actual tones to
play.

/~\ The ASCII         Gene Rackow               email: rackow () anl gov
\ / Ribbon Campaign   Cyber Security Office     voice: 630-252-7126
 X  Against HTML      Argonne National Lab
/ \ Email!            9700 S. Cass Ave. / Argonne, IL  60439