funsec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Queen Bohemian Rhapsody old school computer Remix

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:45:49 -0400

rackow () mcs anl gov wrote:
There was also the fun of setting a radio in specific places on the
main control panel and listen to the music it played.  Somewhat
better than the printer banging away as you'd get actual tones to
play.

An AM radio in the vicinity of an IBM 360/30 and 360/40 would definitely
sing to you at the proper frequency.

I was a third-shift operator in a former life, and a properly-tuned AM
radio would let you know clearly when the machine was idle, and with a
little practice, a rough idea of what it was doing :-)

The machine cycle time of a 360/30 was 1 microsecond (fact), placing
much of the RF noise in the AM band (at least that was my guess).

Jeff