funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mutually Assured DDoS

From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm () igtc com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 15:47:35 -0700

On May 1, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Paul Ferguson wrote:

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Paul M. Moriarty <pmm () igtc com> wrote:

Do you mean that you might want to have some sort of cyber
countermeasure
to a cyber attack?  Where did I hear that recently?

Another great snippet:

"When You Put The Military In Charge of 'Cyberdefense', Don't Be
Surprised
They Want To Go On The Offensive"
http://techdirt.com/articles/20090430/1228154706.shtml

Especially:

"If these are the sorts of strategies that the military sees for
cybersecurity -- which the officer has called "carpet bombing in
cyberspace" -- perhaps we'd be better off with somebody else heading
up the
efforts."

- - ferg

-

First, Col Williamson is a Staff Judge Advocate, commonly known as a
JAG officer, not the head of some c yber force.

I am struggling to think of a weapon that is only defensive.    Right
after the shield was invented some guy beat another guy to death with
it, I'm sure.

Wasn't it von Clausewitz that wrote that the best defense is a good
offense?

- Paul -