funsec mailing list archives

Cat Parasite Affects Everything We Feel and Do

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 09:44:49 +0300

Cat Parasite Affects Everything We Feel and Do
http://a.abcnews.com/Technology/DyeHard/Story?id=2288095

Research Shows That a Certain Cat Parasite Affects Our Behavior and Mood

Kevin Lafferty is a smart, cautious, thoughtful scientist who doesn't
hate cats, but he has put forth a provocative theory that suggests that
a clever cat parasite may alter human cultures on a massive scale.
Cat
Researchers say a cat parasite could be responsible for all kinds of
human behavior and qualities.
(AP Photo )

His phone hasn't stopped ringing since he published one of the strangest
research papers to come out of the mill in quite awhile.

The parasite, Toxoplasma gondii, has been transmitted indirectly from
cats to roughly half the people on the planet, and it has been shown to
affect human personalities in different ways.

Research has shown that women who are infected with the parasite tend to
be warm, outgoing and attentive to others, while infected men tend to be
less intelligent and probably a bit boring. But both men and women who
are infected are more prone to feeling guilty and insecure.

Other researchers have linked the parasite to schizophrenia. In an
adult, the symptoms are like a mild form of flu, but it can be much more
serious in an infant or fetus. Oxford University researchers believe
high levels of the parasite leads to hyperactivity and lower IQs in
children.

--
Gadi Evron,
ge () linuxbox org.