funsec mailing list archives

Re: C-level execs ignorant of Web 2.0 dangers

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:42:21 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 28 May 2009 07:05:49 +0100
From:                   Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>

I've been informed, very off the record, that large companies that
block Facebook at work have serious employee retention and acquisition
problems directly because of it.  I'm dead serious.

An intriguing risk management problem: which is the greater danger, or is there
any way to address both issues at once?

I've just spent the day at an electronics trade show.  One of the seminars was in a
room overlooking a highway.  On the other side of the highway is a steep bluff.
Heavy equipment was digging into it, removing all the vegetation cover, and
making it steeper.  I assume that this was a project which was going to be
completed with the construction of a fairly massive retaining wall, but it looked to
be a fascinating gamble: would you get the wall finished before the hillside
collapsed?  (Well, fascinating for me: I didn't have one of the houses at the top of
the bluff.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Have nothing in your home that you do not know to be useful or
believe to be beautiful.
    - William Morris, 19th century founder of Arts & Crafts movement
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/