funsec mailing list archives

Re: [inquiry] Internet/cell in Teheran down?

From: Steve Pirk <orion () pirk com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
I've been following political developments there over the last 24-36 hours.
It appears that the election results weren't just stolen, they were entirely
fabricated: that is, nobody even bothered to count ballots, they just made
the numbers up.  The results of this completely-obvious fraud have been
what you might expect: protests, arrests, riots, disinformation, violent
clashes, cut-offs of telecommunications, etc.  I rather suspect we'll see
either (a) a pervasive totalitarian crackdown and imposition of martial
law combined with severe restrictions on telecom or (b) a revolution.

Maybe both.

---Rsk

In 1979, I watched on tv in Denver as the American School of Teheran
was overrun by protesters after the Shah fell. All I could think of
was what a change from the way things were when I attended as a kid in
'66. I see a lot of the same looks on the protester's faces as I saw
back in '79.

I also see a lot in these kids today that was there back when Iran was
developing before the revolution. The Iranian people will set things
straight, you watch. They always do "what needs doing". An awesome
people ^__^. My money is on b), probably peacefully behind the scenes
via the religious councils.

-steve