funsec mailing list archives

Re: Progress is inevitable

From: "Paul Bennett" <paul.w.bennett () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 14:07:37 -0400

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:49:02 -0400, Ali, Saqib <docbook.xml () gmail com>
wrote:

Traditional IT does that by constructing fool-proof procedures.
That's very, very difficult, because fools are so ingenious.  ;-)

I think we have all worked on the never-ending projects that involved
making the applications "user-proof". It is simply not possible....

Yeah, what's that line about the most secure system on the planet? Sealed
in an impregnable Faraday-cage vault, not connected to the outside world
in any way, not accessible to anyone?

What's the most-secure (by that standard) system y'all have had access to?

Mine's pretty mundane, being a plain ol' server room that you had to badge
into separately from badging into the building. It did have a webcam up in
one corner of the room that was visible to anyone on the company intranet,
though. I guess that was to discourage you from doing anything you
wouldn't want someone else to see (such as ... taking a fire-axe to a rack
of fileservers?). Thankfully the stream was only 320x240, with a low frame
rate, so carefully watching people log in was mostly out of the question.

--
Paul