funsec mailing list archives

Re: Star Trek infosec

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:57:56 -0400

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:18:10 PDT, chris () blask org said:
I just want to know that the transporter is encrypted and authenticated befor

Checksumming. You want it. You *really* want it. Small numbers of single-bit
errors are probably OK, we deal with cosmic-ray DNA damage amazingly well.  Can
probably model this as similar to low-level radiation sickness if the link is
really noisy.

But signal dropouts would *really* suck - I'd hate to get there and discover
that a half-inch section of aorta didn't get transmitted.  And it would suck if
you got a bunch of line noise on the "forehead" section, and the ECC tries to
salvage it but comes up with "penis" instead.  Of course, we all know enough
people that appears to have happened to already to know that's a tad less fatal
than the aorta thing...