funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image forensics

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:43:44 +0200

On 12/28/09 4:21 AM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:
An interesting analysis of a graphic recently used by Victoria's Secret in their
advertising.  This gives chapter and verse of the techniques used, and results
obtained, demonstrating the ability to determine if an image has been altered, and
even which parts of an image have been modified, and how.

http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/322-Body-By-Victoria.html

I find this particularly interesting because of the apparently widely held belief that
steganography is "undetectable" without comparision to the original image.  Most
of the "Photoshop disasters" are glaringly obvious to the naked eye.  As this
demonstrates, analysis and detection of modification is easily accomplished, even
when the differences are not apparent to the human eye.  (Well, except for the
straps.  That was pretty stupid ...)

I just saw this today and really liked it.

For those who want to spot things with their own eyes, and have a good
laugh, check out the Photoshop Disasters blog:
http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
       I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade

--
Gadi Evron,