funsec mailing list archives

Re: Image forensics

From: Martin Tomasek <tomasek () ufe cz>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:04:24 +0100

Dan Kaminsky napsal(a):
I also dont doubt the fundamental thesis that
some manipulation can be detected (especially in a trivial case like
'was this image downsized' or 'was this saved by Photoshop instead of
a Canon camera', which is obvious from quantization tables if not from
the raw EXIF).

Well.. the manipulations you mention doesn't seem like something bad to
me. And it is pretty normal to retouch the photos. No professional
photographer would sell unretouched photos.

And just one more thing: standard formats for photographs are raw
formats. Most people use tools from adobe for jpeg conversion. So, you
if you are insurance company for example, you can detect adobe-specific
quantisation algorithms, but it does not prove fradulent manipulation.
If software like adobe lightroom is involved in the process, it even
does light sharpening before export to jpeg (the reason of this is that
transfer of jpeg to photographic paper blurs the photo slightly).

I wonder what would image manipulation detectors detect in photos with
heavy tonality corrections, such as photos from inca's gold exhibition
in my gallery:
http://www.ufe.cz/~tomasek/gallery/zlato_inku/index.html
<http://www.ufe.cz/%7Etomasek/gallery/zlato_inku/index.html>

or in photos with split toning: