funsec mailing list archives

Re: mac is not unix [Re: What was that about hubris?]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:04:35 +0200

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:25:35 +0200, Gadi Evron said:
der Mouse wrote:
"An operating system" in general may or may not be [split into
core, GUI, and CLI]; indeed, plenty of operating systems do not
have anything at all that could reasonably be called a GUI, much
less structure like what you sketch.
1) Either convince me that Cisco's IOS and Juniper's JunOS are in
fact *not* operating systems, or point out to me how they're split
into a core, a CLI, and a GUI.
You don't need to go even that far.  Just consider NetBSD (or Linux, or
whatever) on hardware without a GUI-capable framebuffer - or, if that's
not enough, on hardware which can't be given one (I've got a board from
Mesanet on which it would be difficult-to-impossible to add GUI-capable
hardware).
We're talking about Mac here, right?

No, the original quote was "an operating system is build of...", not
"OSX is built of".

Whatever the core looks like in an OS, and whether it has GUI or not,
does not make it any less true as used for the comparison. I could
describe it another way but it's the best suited description to compare
to mac with.

Not so?

So some systems have no GUI, big deal. If we were comparing to Linux I'd
called the core the kernel and differentiate the applications from it.
GUI, while not necessarily a part of the OS, would still be relevant.

And this is still nit-picking unless you can shed some light on
similarities/differences, or show me how I'm wrong.