funsec mailing list archives

Re: tips for safe surfing and computer security

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 13:17:42 +1300

RandallM wrote:

OK, some fun stuff and brainstorming; I am wanting to come up with
tips for surfing and keeping computer performance and security to be
put on a "mouse pad". About 4 lines under each topic all in layman
terms. Or, if you see better give that too. What would you put there?

Not quite what you asked for, but here's a few one-liners along the
same lines for you:

   No-one in Africa wants to GIVE anyone their money or gold.

   Microsoft/Google/a Russian oil magnate/VW/BMW/etc certainly does not
   want to GIVE anyone money/a car/etc.

   A stunning Russian blonde DOES NOT want to marry you.

   If it sounds too good to be true, IT IS.

   A web site, Email message, IM or tweet that tells you you need to
   install security software IS LYING*.

   Just because it's in a Google search result or an "ad by Google"
   does NOT mean it is safe.

   If the options seem to be "Click OK/Run/Install" or "turn off the
   computer", TURN OFF THE COMPUTER.

   Did your friend really send you that message?

   Is your friend really as smart about computer security as you think?
   A. No    B. Not at all    C. Well and truly not    D. All the above

* Yes, some of this might actually be legitimate security product
advertising, but I challenge you to reliably tell the difference.  8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald