funsec mailing list archives

Re: ICANN Approves Non-Latin Domain Name Characters

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:25:33 -0500 (EST)

So have the security implications of these new domain names really
been thought through?
Of course not.  Security is an afterthought.  Making money for the
infrastructure companies comes first.

(In passing, something in your email software is mangling quotes; it
replaced two ordinary spaces with non-break spaces.  I changed them
back in the quote above.)

It's been a long time since Internet governance had anything to do
with governing well (as opposed to profitably).

Oh, come off it.  There are reasons to make changes to networks other
than security.  It's a genuine, non-corrupt reasonable demand that
you should be able to have your own language in DNS.

Certainly.  All I'm saying is that (I believe) the cha-ching overrode
any impluse there may have been toward giving the security concerns
anything like the thought they need.  (Not that this is surprising; if
security were important enough to them for them to have done that, they
would have done various other highly visible things first.)

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org