funsec mailing list archives

Re: SSL/TLS broken?

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 00:27:49 -0500

Nah, it's not that easy. The browser needs to think it's talking to www.amazon.com
  for the Amazon cookie to show up.

Not downplaying the bug -- it's a problem -- but it's not THAT problem.

On Nov 9, 2009, at 11:32 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:50:40 PST, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor,
Devon & Hannah" said:
Ummmm, are we missing something?  As far as I can see, this affects
*any* kind
of e-commerce, but I'm not seeing much discussion on it ...

Yeah, it affects pretty much any SSL or TOS, so yes, basically all e-
commerce.

It's however mitigated by the requirement that you be able to MITM
the connection.
So, if you wanted to run this attack against my visit to www.amazon.com
,
you need to get me to visit your attack host instead of
www.amazon.com.
You might be able to pull a DNS trick, or you might be able to use
an HTML
e-mail that contains cruft like:

<this-is-an-a href=www.my-rbn-malware.com> www.amazon.com </a>

So there's a few preconditions that raise the bar a bit.